Friday 5 June 2009

what an amazing walk

first of all apologies for lack updates but as I mentioned before, internet access is almost impossible I'll start with yesterday's walk but don't be surprised if I stop halfway through as I am using my mobile and there is a thunderstorm outside Thursday 4th June We left Rabanal just before 7:00 am and during the 8 hours walk we went from an altitude of 3,900 feet up to 5,300 and then down to 1,968 feet. You need to be fit to do this walk and I guess our three months training has helped but in no way have I ever imagined the difficulties we faced. I have to say that Alexis was superb. Not only he has several blisters but his training was a lot less than mide due to work commitments but he managed it all. Going up those mountains was difficult enough but going down was a killer But lets get the bad stuff out of the way as this was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I guess my ignorance is showing but like most people you imagine Spain as a place for holidays with its superb beaches and great food but if you want to see the real Spain then doing this walk wil go a long way to answer your question. The scenary was absolutely breathtaking, the different coulours of the wild flowers that seemed to go for miles but always in the distance you see the high mountains that still have some snow left. I guess the best way for you to understand my feelings would be to see my photos and video clips and I promise that as soon as I return I'll make them available on the web for anyone interested to see. Its simply impossible to do so now as I have very little access to internet and when I do there are always people waiting in the queue. My favouriye village today was El Acebo with its beautiful balconies and most colourful flowers. In leaving the village we walked through the gorge. There seemed thousands of birds singing and you must watch one of my video clips to appreciate it. It was amazing at the top of the mountain as we were above the clouds but very cold and breathless at that altitude. I have to say that the last couple of miles were the toughest as we never trained walking down mountains especially on rocky paths and it seemed to last for ever. It was such a relief to see Molineseca from about 1 mile away and then just then it started to rain. At least we didn´t have a thunderstorm like last night while at the hotel which caused a powercut for a couple of hours. Damn it, I am pressurised to come of internet so I better go More updates tomorrow I hope

No comments:

Post a Comment